Five birth control societies merged in 1930 to form the National Birth Control Council, which in 1931 changed their name to the National Birth Control Association, and in 1939 to the Family Planning Association.
The Indian Birth Control Society was started by Professor Gopaljee Ahluwalia of Delhi University in 1922. The Society organized talks and lectures, distributed leaflets and pamphlets, and conducted a Birth Control Reference and Circulating Library.
The Birth Control League of the District of Columbia was formed following a lecture by Margaret Sanger. The league was organized with the intention of acting as a lobbying organization for leagues from around the country.
The Minneapolis Birth Control League officially became the Minneapolis Branch of the Minnesota Birth Control League in November, 1916. As was the case with many other leagues, the Minneapolis League’s formation was inspired by a visit by Sanger to…
The Birth Control League of Columbus was formed following a debate between Dr. Percy W Cobb and Rev. M. V. Eusey at the Southern Theater. The League held weekly meetings and worked closely with the state organization.
The Birth Control League of New York opened its headquarters at 104 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY, in 1916. The league's primary objective was to support Margaret Sanger in her legal fight for birth control.
The establishment of the Birth Control League of Massachusetts took place in response to the prosecution of Van Kleeck Allison in 1916. The League reorganized as the Family Welfare Foundation under the leadership of Dr. Evangeline Young in 1919, but…